Lopburi

The city is located 155 km north of Bangkok was originally a khemercity. Today, the ruins is in a charming way becoming part of the old town. Its modern Lopburi construction began in 1940, and the Lopburi is a calm small town that has not experienced the major tourist pressure.

The sights of the old city can be experienced on foot or by bicycle taxi on one or two days. One of the old khemerbuildings Prang Sam Yot (The altar with the three spiers) has become a symbol of Lopburi Province. The three spiers are also available at the back of 500 Bath bills.

Lopburi History
In Lopburi they have found artifacts from both the Neolithic and Bronze Age. During Davaraatiperiod (500's to 1000talet) Lopburi was an important city in khemerriket. During the Khmer heyday, when Angkor Wat was the capital Lopburo became provincial capital.

When King Rama Tivodi AAV U-Thong founded Ayutthya as the capital of Siam in 1350, he sent his son, Prince Ramesuan as regent to Lopburi. At this time Lopburi had a strategic importance because the city was close to Sukhothai's frontier. Later Sukothai was conquered and made ​​part of Ayutthaya and Lopburi lost its strategic importance.

Already in the 1500's, Thailand started to trade with Europe, and under King Narai (1656-1688), problems arose with the Dutch trade, with the result that the Dutch blocked the Thai coast. This blockade did the king realize that Ayutthaya was too close to the coast and could easily be shot by enemies. In 1665 he gave therefore ordered that "rebuild" Lopburi as its second capital. When King Narai died in 1688, his successor was crowned king Phetracha in Lopburis palace. But otherwise the city was not used as a royal residence until 1734 and 1754 when King Borom Kot came there to capture wild elephants. King Rama IV (1851-1861) used over a period used also Lopburi as alternative capital to Bangkok and he renovated King Narais palace. Also, King Rama V (1868-1910) resided periodically in Lopburi until the northern train line was established, after which he gave the palace to the local government, and built himself a residence in Chiang Mai.